Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Metropolotan Museum of Art



The Metropolitan Museum of Art (the Met) was wonderful. There was so many people today. I could not believe it. All kinds of people, speaking many different languages. Vendor, ice-cream trucks, nut makers my eyes were all over the place. The outside , which you can see, it is the first picture shown, is beautiful and very large. Todays events include family programs, guided tours and member events. All of this, and I am still in the libby!! When we entered I was in Amazement, it is HUGE. I was pressed for time, so had to plan my visit around the museum. I spent most of my time 3.5 hours on the first floor and the mezzanine floor. The elevator has a person who brings you up and down, it was cool. The upper level was my favorite, it looks over the main floor. All those people walking, talking and learning, some people were sitting at table and some were drawing. This was a great way to start of my spring



When inside, the place is really big with all kinds of interesting features, high ceilings and beautiful floors. This museum is a special place. I pay and now I am inside the museum, and I do not know were to begin. There is so much to see.

I begin my journey on the first floor were a huge collection of Greek and Roman Art is displayed. I seem to relate a little better to this type of art because, even if you have never been to a museum in your life, you have seen something Greek. Even if it is just a pillar on a building you recognize the influence. The Greek Sculpture Court is impressive. I noticed other student having discussions, in detail pertaining to these fabulous sculpture. I was drown into their discussion because, I felt the same way but did not have anyone to tell. It is so funny how people can be given the same information but come to different conclusion.



The most interesting thing that I saw was in the "Etruscan Art." This part was beautiful! Located on the "M" level the mezzanine. There are glass box cubes, holding art work and information about the piece. There was a big glass box with a wonderful Chariot inside. A scene from the life of Achilles, of course Achilles is a Greek Hero (Trojan War). Also included was a bowl and a helmut of Achilles that was given to him by his mother. The Chariot is in such good condition, it is unbelievable. It is not large but, not small either. It is bronze in color with green and purture mixed in. Also Ivory is inlaid on certain parts, it is very beautiful. The Chariot was found near Monteleone di Spoleto in 1902, believed to be Etruscan second quarter of the 10th century B.C. A land owner working on his property made a great discovery.


There is so much to see. I was not able to see it all in the time I was their, but I will be going back to see the rest. This is now my favorite Museum surpassing the Atheneum, leaving them in the dust.

3 comments:

Jerry said...

I was so glad to click on your link and find that your blog is now open and that you went to the Met yesterday!

You observation about all the people, languages spoken and excitement of being at the Met is a good one. You know something big is going on... This museum is a destination for people from all over the world and you hit it on a great week-end as they just opened the new Greek and Roman Galleries. The Etruscan chariot you discussed was not even on view prior to last week....

An awe and appreciation for history is a great way to begin appreciating the art in museums...

Good job.

Yiovannie said...

Lisa,
I have not been to the Met for this class yet, however I have been many, many times as my compnay sponsors pieces there. Not to mention NYC is on of my favorite things to do. In my expriences so far, I think the Met is the best museum I ever been to.
I enjoyed your posting.

Christina said...

wow you are so lucky to be able to view the Greek & Roman Galleries. I want to go back just for that.